Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Got Fish?


Today was our Little Gym day, but before we headed out to The Little Gym we decided to go visit the ducks and geese at a nearby pond.  We pulled up and it seems as though they knew we were coming, they must have skipped dinner last night... They were very hungry.  Dallin got his hands way down inside the Fruit Loops box (go figure, the one kid who doesn't like fruit loops?), and scooped out a handful and tossed into the pond.  All the geese and ducks come swimming up to us for the goodies.  As soon as we finished with the Fruit Loops we started on the old bread. They really enjoyed that, as they seemed to tire of the Fruit Loops.  When we finished up with the bread we just sat and enjoyed the view... Suddenly we see fish pop up (I think they were cat fish?), to grab the remaining Fruit Loops. I guess Dallin isn't the only one who doesn't like Fruit Loops.

I noticed when we arrived there were a few new additions to the pond.  Seemed to be more ducks than normal and we saw a few turtles.  But, over in the corner standing ever so proud was a CRANE of all things, here in Riverside!  He was just as tall as Dallin and I was so glad he wasn't hungry.  He just kept to himself, occasionally flying to nearby trees then back again to the action.  His wings span was awe inspiring, just beautiful.  I pointed him out to Dallin and he decided to watch the crane instead of the action in the pond.  We were almost ready to go, when suddenly the crane swooped down low to the pond, ducked his head into the water and got himself breakfast. Nope, he doesn't like Fruit Loops either, nor bread.  He came up with a FISH! Dallin says, "mom-mom, look -- birdie has a fish in his mouth and they are flying high into the sky."  That's when I thought it was time to say bye - bye to ducks, geese, turtle, etc. Dallin makes sure to say -- bye - bye duckies, see ya later.  I really didn't want him to watch the carnage ensue ie. Mr. Crane enjoying his breakfast.  Thankfully, we got out of there before Mr. Crane pecked out the eyes of that poor fish.  I felt a little guilty. Here we were feeding the ducks, and this brave fish decided to swim to the surface to take a bite, little did he know that he was going to be someone else's breakfast! 

Then we headed off to his Little Gym class where most everyone had their green on -- darn we couldn't pinch anyone today!  :-)  Class was good, Dallin spent most of it "STUCK," just like Rocket on The Little Einstein's.  All in all, we've had a good day.  I bet that poor little fish didn't have such a great day.  Oopsie 

1 comment:

  1. not to worry about the cranes plucking eyes out.. they swallow them whole.. we have a bunch at the lake by our house..now the baby ducks that get swallowed by the big catfish is a whole nother story! ~C

    ReplyDelete